Friday, April 19, 2013

Patience, Co-hosting IWSG and Alex Cavanaugh


One thing I have realized that we writers need heavy duty patience in our professions. The books by themselves take a long time to get written. Then there are the innumerable drafts. Then comes the critique from crit partners. After several rounds of revisions, when we finally send the manuscripts to an agent or editor, we not just have to endure a long wait for their reply, we also need to further revise and polish the manuscript with their suggestions.

Patience is one thing that does not come easy to me. I am a girl in a hurry. If I had telepathic abilities, I would ensure that the editors and agents I query reply ASAP. Now that a publisher has requested my full MS, and another has requested a revision of the first few chapters, I am both nervous and excited. Honestly, the wait can be killing. All kinds of doubts have made their residence in my mind. To distract myself, I am writing and reading like crazy. But, ever so often my mind finds its way back to the nagging thought.


On another note I am thrilled to share with you all the news that for the month of May I will be co-hosting IWSG (Insecure Writer’s Support Group).  I joined IWSG in January. It’s been four months since I joined this amazing group, where we share our fears, insecurities, doubts and worries related to our writing and help and support each other. We post on the first Wednesday of every month.

IWSG is the brainchild of my dear blog buddy Alex Cavanaugh who really needs no introduction at all. CassaStar, CassaFire, his two sci- fi books are on the Amazon bestsellers list. I am sure that CassaStorm, his third book too will land up there. Alex is one of the most supportive bloggers I know. His generosity and warmth just take my breath away. I really adore this Ninja Captain of ours. I have badgered him several times to share the secret of his super human powers with me. His energy levels amaze me. A multi-tasker and a man of many talents, he loves writing, blogging, movies and music.

I am really excited about co-hosting. It will be the first time I am ever co-hosting anything. I am looking forward to meeting lots of wonderful new bloggers and making more writing friends.

If any of you have not yet met Alex, its time you changed that. Drop in to his blog and say a huge hi from me to him. What are you all looking forward to in the month of May? Have any of you co-hosted any blog challenge? Any tips for me?



26 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Rachna... A big congrats for the full request and the rewriting request!! Exciting!!!!!!!!!!!

    And yay! We'll be sharing the co-host duties for IWSG in May!! How cool! I'm so looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there anyone who doesn't know Alex? I find it hard to believe.

    Congrats on the requests!

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on those requests and have fun co-hosting. I've never co-host anything. It will be my first time on May. I guess you'll tell me about it first. :)
    Your note made me smile. I started blogging at the same time the blogsphere was doing some Captain Ninja Bloghop. I really had not the slightest idea who they were all talking about and I felt like alien. Someone mentioned he who didn't know who Alex was had to live in a cave. Well, yeah, Bingo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A full request and a revision - that is awesome!! Double the opportunity.
    And thank you, Rachna. I'm really glad you are co-hosting - you understand the spirit of the IWSG so well. Don't worry. You're going to be an awesome co-host.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patience is difficult, but it sounds like yours is really paying off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big congrats on your full and partial requests. How awesome! And yeah, there's a ton of patience and waiting as an author.

    Awesome you're co-hosting with Alex. That should be great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen to patience. I realize every day that I have been put on earth to learn patience. I really hope I grasp it this time around:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on co-hosting! I am sure you're going to be perfect co-host. You've always been such a supportive person for other writers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi friends...thank you all for being so supportive. IWSG is close to my heart and I am really eager to co-host it. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the requests. The best way to keep doubts away is to work on a new project. Sounds like you're doing just that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patience usually pays off if we wait long enough. At least that's what I keep telling myself as I work through these revisions.

    Congratulations on IWSG and the requests!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patience is important in life. Congratulations on what you have accomplished so far! And good luck with your new challenge. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's awesome about being a co-host for IWSG in May!

    And congrats with the requests! I hope the wait isn't too long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's awesome about the requests. :)

    IWSG is amazing. It definitely unites us as both bloggers and writers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Daunting, is the only word for it. I can but admire your fortitude, the way you "stick in" there. Impressive.
    Another fascinating write. Thanks for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on co-hosting, Rachna! You know, I've been seeing the ISWG all over the blogosphere for the last couple years, but I never actually looked into it. I'll have to check it out and see what it's all about.

    Patience isn't my strength, either. But this writing life sure does help strengthen it out of necessity. Writing and publishing is sooo slooow, lol.

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool! I love IWSG! See you next week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the manuscript and revision requests! It's great to see you teaming up with the ever-present, always invisible Ninja Captain for May IWSG! You'll have a blast.

    But alas, only practice perfects patience. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats, Rachna, on your new co-hosting duties.

    Waiting is the most challenging skill around. I find writing and going offline helps. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Patience is a hard thing to master. While waiting for those publishers, just keep writing and try not to listen to those doubts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the interest your MS is generating! Sounds like, impatient as you may be to hear good news, that you are being productive in the interim! What I'm looking forward to in May is attending my first big writing conference--Backspace Writers Conference in NYC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Patience is not a virtue I possess, but I know the angst very well. My husband has tons of patience, I guess that's why he's still here. :)

    Congrats on your manuscript requests and the co-hosting. You'll do well, your personality comes through so wonderfully in your writing. So nice to meet you via Alex and the A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's so cool, Rachna! I know you'll do a great job co-hosting.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on your MS requests! That is so awesome. Good luck and I hope they love it.

    I love the ISWSG and Alex - it's such a great idea. You'll have fun hosting, Rachna.

    ReplyDelete